Almost roadworthy, advice needed

Anything Corvair related
fbama73

Almost roadworthy, advice needed

Post by fbama73 »

Okay, I quit the job that never gave me time to work on my project cars and took one that's more humane. The Corvair was priority, since the '51 is a few years out, realistically.

So, I've been working on the Corvair, and it is close. I'll probably drive it just about any day the weather is nice.

Since this is my first Corvair, I'd love to pick the brains of you guys who have been driving them for some time. What do you keep in your emergency road kit? What sort of tools do you carry along, and what spare parts? I've picked up from other posts that a spare belt and fuel pump are good ideas, what else?
cad-kid

Re: Almost roadworthy, advice needed

Post by cad-kid »

It really depends on how far you will be driving on a trip. For in town stuff a belt and some tools are good. For longer trips there is always AAA to think about (I just signed up).

Probably the most important thing is preventive maintenance and inspection of everything. For example, when I had the seats and carpet out of my car I took a very close look at where the clutch cable pivots on the pedal shaft arm. And due to that inspection I adjusted the bracket and lubricated the pivot. Also my inspections revealed leaking rear wheel bearing seals and further testing shows excessive play. Now that I am aware of the issue I can plan for their replacement and monitor their condition.

Another example is shortly after I got my car I pulled the front wheel hubs and went through the bearings. Why? it was easy to do and it's one less thing to fail.

I hope that helps.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
fbama73

Re: Almost roadworthy, advice needed

Post by fbama73 »

Well, until I get it shaken down good, I'm going to stay pretty local. Maybe 30 minute trips or so. I'd like to drive it to work on nice days. Eventually, I need it to go farther, though. My Mother in law had a 66 convertible, and it was her favorite car of all time. Her health isn't so good these days, so I'd love to take her for a ride while I still have time. She's about 75 miles away, though.

Return to “Corvair Talk”