What is this? Vent?

All Models and Years
Damien8086

What is this? Vent?

Post by Damien8086 »

What is this near the back of the engine bay? It usually has a plastic cover over it which is removed in the picture. It looks like a vent of some kind and it has what seems to be some kind of rubber grommet but it starts to fall apart when I barely touch it.

How do I change the rubber piece and does anyone have a link for the replacement part on Clark’s?
Attachments
IMG_7383.jpeg
RexJohnson

Re: What is this? Vent?

Post by RexJohnson »

Your missing a part that goes between the 3" round hole in the top shroud and the opening the fire wall. It is for cooler air to enter the heater to be used for blending the temp of the heater. Most people block off the hole in the top shroud to make the cooling air go over the cylinder head. If the 3" hole is open in the top shroud it needs to be blocked off to keep the air in the engine. I remove the 3" fitting and use it to cut a piece of an aluminum pie plate and put it between the fitting and the shroud. Then cap off the hole in the fire wall to keep dirt out of the heater.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

It looks like this:
Fresh air duct.jpg

I also noticed that you are missing the retainer strip for your front perimeter seal (this is the rubber flaps that go on all 4 sides of the engine tins). Again, we can get to those details when the time comes. Maybe you should start a build thread. Just do a search on the web for Clark's Corvair Parts When you place your first order they will give you a customer number and send you a catalogue. The catalogue has lots of other helpful information. To be fair, there are other vendors such as California Corvairs too. I have purchased from both as well as ebay vendors and Facebook. With Facebook you have ot be careful as there are cons out there. Dennis
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

Yes, I have that outer plastic part - I had taken it off to get a picture of the gasket that is falling apart. I also have the perimeter bracket that holds down the shroud, but I had temporarily removed it because I needed easier access to the gasket that the positive battery cable and fuel line run through as I was changing out the battery cables and it was kind of a pita to get the old positive cable out.

I think that I found the part that I was looking for here, but it is currently out of stock:
https://ssl.corvair.com/photo-index/C10064.jpg
https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C10064

Do you know if this can be installed from the engine bay without needing to get under the car? I assume that the rectangular part of this connects to something on the other side.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

:eek: 72.00! I'm glad mine in good condition. Probably not as popular as a lot of the other repro grommets and seals. I've had to order a few, including all my perimeter seals. Worst was chasing down missing tin pieces without paying an arm and a leg plus shipping. I ended up with 2 spare parts engines plus one LM basket case parts engine, but I got pretty much everything I needed.
My car came with the engine suspended in the back by nylon straps, the transaxle and a bunch of parts in the trunk, a couple of boxes of parts (many new OEM), and some missing parts. Dennis
whenim64

Post by whenim64 »

Don't want to pay $72.00 for the out-of-stock repro? I have two good used ones available. Not perfect, but decent and usable. $20 each plus shipping.
Attachments
20240425_174138.jpg
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

whenim64 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:43 pm Don't want to pay $72.00 for the out-of-stock repro? I have two good used ones available. Not perfect, but decent and usable. $20 each plus shipping.
that is a very decent price. do you take PayPal?

any idea if the entire heating component needs to be removed to do this job? i saw something about how this piece was originally stapled on, but there must be an easier way of replacing it without taking it all apart.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

I purchased an inexpensive "sewn" replacement from Clarks and it worked fine. Here's the link:https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C5614
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
whenim64

Post by whenim64 »

that is a very decent price. do you take PayPal?
Yes, I do. I am sending you a PM.
any idea if the entire heating component needs to be removed to do this job? i saw something about how this piece was originally stapled on, but there must be an easier way of replacing it without taking it all apart.
Yes, it was stapled on originally. But I would guess that a modern adhesive of some sort would work. As for removing the heater duct, it may or may not be necessary depending on how adept you are in working in tight places.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Staples: I haven't gotten to it yet, but when I install the perimeter seals to my original tins, I'm going to use the brads from my air nailer. They seem to be the perfect size. I'll bend then into horseshoe shapes and see how it works. I know some have used copper wire, some use pop rivets (I don't like that look). Dennis

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”