Modified Oil Filter Bolt Woes

All Models and Years
ponyguru

Modified Oil Filter Bolt Woes

Post by ponyguru »

Well, I was going to change the oil on my 64 Corvair and ran into a problem. The bolt which holds the oil filter in place is very clearly not in its stock configuration when referencing my manuals. The picture attached shows the issue. Turning the bolt results in the wire (or if the wire is removed, the contact) hitting the fuel pump. How can I go about removing my oil filter in this configuration AND how can I be sure to torque the new filter to specification (I only have a ratchet torque wrench). Thanks!
Attachments
IMG20240504131214.jpg
66vairguy

Re: Modified Oil Filter Bolt Woes

Post by 66vairguy »

ponyguru wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:38 pm Well, I was going to change the oil on my 64 Corvair and ran into a problem. The bolt which holds the oil filter in place is very clearly not in its stock configuration when referencing my manuals. The picture attached shows the issue. Turning the bolt results in the wire (or if the wire is removed, the contact) hitting the fuel pump. How can I go about removing my oil filter in this configuration AND how can I be sure to torque the new filter to specification (I only have a ratchet torque wrench). Thanks!
Hmmmm --- It looks like someone used the Clark's oil filter bolt that normally is used to install a simple gauge. I use the setup on new engines on first startup to monitor oil pressure. In YOUR case someone has mounted the Corvair oil pressure switch, a hose to a junction for an electrical oil pressure gauge, and what might be the Chevy Vega oil pressure/electric fuel pump shut off switch (does your car have an electric fuel pump?). I detest this kind of "kludge" as it looks ugly and as you learned has created a problem.

First - The Corvair oil pressure switch should be located close to the oil filler tube (there is a threaded hole) although I recall in 1960 it went on the lower engine block.

Second - I'd get rid of the other stuff and use the correct oil filter bolt. Corvair engine oil pressure is very reliable and all you need is the warning light if the oil runs low, or the oil pump fails. The light gets your attention, while few watch the gauge enough to catch a sudden oil pressure failure.

Third - The problem with the Vega pressure switch is the electric fuel pump does NOT start until after the engine does so if the carburetors dry out from sitting you need a by-pass switch to get the fuel pump working before starting. A better solution is the Revolution fuel pump controller. Turn on the key and wait a second and it turns on the pump to prime the carburetors and stays on if you start the engine, otherwise it shuts off the pump and will shut it off if the engine stalls (even with the ignition key on). See https://revolutionelectronics.com/Produ ... _Pump.html

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree. :wave:
ponyguru

Post by ponyguru »

To the best of my knowledge and thorough inspection - I do not have a electric fuel pump. I will try to track down where that wire leads.

I would be interested in an electric fuel pump conversion in the future, but my mechanical pump seems to serve me well now.

Buying a new bolt from clarks and doing away with this excess sounds like a plan to me. Unless anyone else has a solution which is cheaper or easier (and allows me to change my oil).
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Turn the filter with a strap wrench and hold the bolt. Very poor design putting all that on that bolt.

Looks like a relocated oil pressure switch and an oil pressure tranmitter. Do you have an oil pressure gauge in the car?

Here is my engine in the 66 More Door. Same filter and bolt. An electronic pressure transmitter only. loosen 2 knurl nuts remove wires, then loosen bolt. Filter comes off cleanly. This is a Summit Gage and tranmitter package Sum-G2881. I matched it up to their vacuum gauge and voltmeter.

Oil Filter and Pressure Transmitter.jpg
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Regarding comments that an oil pressure gauge is not needed.

I call BS. Most new cars have the gauge and a low oil pressure light. Manufacturers found the need to put them in = customer requested item. I like to monitor my oil pressure on startup and when rolling down the road, so I know what is normal. If indication goes awry from normal seen pressures, I can troubleshoot the indication, then the engine. In that order.

So if you feel you want a gauge, go for it. BUT keep the warning light also.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

If we knew your general location someone close by might have a bolt that they would sell. Not all new cars have oil pressure gauges. Alot of people these days can't figure out an idiot light I don't think they would miss a gauge. Now I'm not against a gauge but I've driven my conv all over the country and hundred of thousands of miles and it still doesn't have an oil gauge. I would definitely try to get rid of almost everything hooked to that oil filter bolt.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Count me in the red light gets my attention faster than a gauge, unless of course the sun is shining on the dash, then I can't see the red light or the gauge! Dang convertible. Sure I like gauges, but nope, none of my modern cars have oil pressure gauges. 2011 Sierra 1500, 2015 Encore, 2005 Park Avenue Ultra. They all do have a temperature gauge, though. :tu:

Oh, oddly, the Sierra has a transmission temperature readout if you click through the odometers (and cancel the service tire pressure monitoring system warning), but nope, no oil pressure. Oh, I do get oil life with the truck in park/neutral. :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :drinkinbuddy: :drinkinbuddy: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Yeah, try having a fleet and almost every truck has a different oil reset or menu screening process :angry: Dennis
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

ponyguru:

You can use the existing bolt, just go to local hardware store and get an 1/8-27 plug to plug its hole. Put some gasket sealant on its threads. It should not need the sealant but why not be safe. Move the oil pressure switch that is right above the bolt to its original position on the engine rear cover to the right of the alternator.

If and whem, you want an oil pressure gage, I suggest the Summit Sum-G2881 gauge and trasmitter I am using. Most others require some way to ground the trasducer housing. The Summit one has its one ground terminak that you can add a ground wire to the nearest engine bolt.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

If there is a 1/8” NPT plug where the stock switch should be, you don’t even need to go to the store. One wrap of Teflon tape will seal it fine. Or a little Gasoila, but no one keeps that. :think: :tu: :chevy: :tu: :chevy:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

If you want to keep all attached items a good alternative is to put a flexible braded hose in the stock oil pressure port where the stock sensor is and route out in front of the alternator to a block that all pressure items are arranged. Will not get in the way of belt changes and oil filter changes.

1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
ponyguru

Post by ponyguru »

Well, I was able to get the filter off with some creative use of an adjustable wrench and a belt-style oil filter wrench. Obviously there is no way I have torqued the new filter to spec, but it seems close enough for government work. Will certainly look into converting it to a more useful and friendly setup as well as keeping an eye on the filter for leaks. Thanks for the help guys!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

ponyguru wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:22 am Well, I was able to get the filter off with some creative use of an adjustable wrench and a belt-style oil filter wrench. Obviously there is no way I have torqued the new filter to spec, but it seems close enough for government work. Will certainly look into converting it to a more useful and friendly setup as well as keeping an eye on the filter for leaks. Thanks for the help guys!
Thanks for the feedback. Good luck with the car.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”