New Member, New Corvair Owner

All Models and Years
1st Corvair

Re: New Member, New Corvair Owner

Post by 1st Corvair »

Well, it seems every group I've ever joined has a different way to post pictures. How are we doing it here?
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

Yes, you need to pull the bucket to get in the trunk. There are good odds that the factory seam sealer isn't doing its job anymore as that is a common rust problem between the bucket and the body. On a '65 some of the upper screws are machine screws and they like to break off after all of these years. The lower ones and all of them on '66 and later are sheet metal screws so they are easier to work with.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
1st Corvair

Post by 1st Corvair »

All the sealer looks intact on this car, on both sides. Think I'll leave it alone.
I pulled the lock cylinder out of the glove box lid. Locksmith said he can make a key from that.
Figure I'll roll over there tomorrow and see what he can do.

Once I get all this figured out, I can take the car to him and have him work his magic on the door/ignition locks as well.

I'll keep you all posted.

One last thing. How do I post pictures on here? I keep trying different things and nothing works.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I pulled the lock cylinder out of the glove box lid. Locksmith said he can make a key from that.

Yes he should be able.

1. Do NOT let him pull off the decorative escutcheon (bezel) to get the lock open. There is a method to pick it open. Taking the decorative bezel off destroys it, no replacements.

2. The key code is stamped on the glove box cylinder. Not the lock assembly. You must pick it open to remove the cylinder and see the code.

3. If he just tries to make a key from "impression" he will only have four of the six cuts needed for the trunk.

4. It is normal to pull a headlamp bucket to get into a trunk without damage. Good reason to apply new sealer (not latex caulk, but something oil based). The old sealer can leak water into the trunk.

5. I have printed instructions for picking the glove box if needed.

:dogrun: :dogrun: :drinkinbuddy: :drinkinbuddy: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Ah, yes, the 67 and 68s with big rectangular and oval head keys. They were made later in the 70s as replacements, as they were not made in 1967 or 1968 according to both B&S part numbers and the aftermarket numbering system (the B- types).

From an earlier treatise of mine:

From 1936 through 1966 GM used the number 15 Groove on their key blanks.
The blanks were made by Briggs and Stratton.
The Octagonal Head part number is 32318 from B&S, H1098LA from ILCO, and B10 from Curtis and others.
The Pear Head part number is 32319 from B&S, O1098LA from ILCO, and B11 from Curtis and others.

In 1967 GM went to the "A" key for ignition with Octagon head. B-40 From 1936 through 1966 GM used the number 15 Groove on their key blanks.

In 1967 GM went to the "A" key for ignition with Octagon head. B-40 B&S Groove 50 B&S p/n 320296
In 1967 GM went to the "B" key for glove box with Pear head. B-41 B&S Groove 51 B&S p/n 320297
In 1968 GM went to the "C" key for ignition Octagonal Head B-42 B&S Groove 54 B&S p/n 320368
In 1968 GM went to the "D" key for glove box Pear Head B-43 B&S Groove 55 B&S p/n 320369
In 1969 GM went to the "E" key for ignition (Rectangle head) B-44 B&S Groove 56 B&S p/n 320404
In 1969 GM went to the "H" key for glove box (Oval Head) B-45 B&S Groove 57 B&S p/n 320405
In 1970 GM went to the "J" key for ignition (Rectangle head) B-46 B&S Groove 58 B&S p/n 320470
In 1970 GM went to the "K" key for glove box (Oval Head) B-47 B&S Groove 59 B&S p/n 320471
In 1971 GM went to the "A" key for ignition (Rectangle head) B-48 B&S Groove 50 B&S p/n 320588
In 1971 GM went to the "B" key for glove box (Oval Head) B-49 B&S Groove 51 B&S p/n 320589
In 1972 GM went to the "C" key for ignition (Rectangle head) B-50 B&S Groove 54 B&S p/n 320652
In 1972 GM went to the "D" key for glove box (Oval head) B-51 B&S Groove 55 B&S p/n 320653

In 1967 and 1968, GM was still using dash mounted ignition switches, so the small octagon and pear head keys were made with the new keyways, A B C and D.

In 1969, GM went to the locking steering column, and a larger rectangular key was needed to match the ears of the ignition switch, so the large head keys started in 1969. This meant the A B C & D blanks needed to be remade with the large heads, so the A large head started in 1971 with B-48, etc. Note GM trucks (Chevy & GMC) did not get steering column ignition locks until 1973.

Finding the original small head A B C & D keys is much harder than the large heads, but keep looking at Ebay. The good news is when you fin them they are usually the GM/B&S/Rochester products keys, not Ilco, Curtis, etc. for you purists.

Ah Ha! I found the part numbers for the B&S A-D keys with small heads. I'll type it tomorrow. :tu:

I have added the information to the above chart. B&S part numbers show no large head keys in 1967 or 1968 on any GM car line, even Cadillac, which always had different part numbers because the OEM B&S keys had the Cadillac crest on them. I think I should make this a new topic too.

:dogrun: :drinkinbuddy: :drinkinbuddy: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dirtbike: :camptrailer:
Last edited by Frank DuVal on Wed May 08, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Curious, Are you able to turn the key in the truck lock? Or will it not turn at all as if its the wrong key? As others have stated, sometimes if it turns you need to push the hood down a bit after it pops up a little then turn key a little more. Like a safety catch is built in.
But if it wont turn at all...
Good luck.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
1st Corvair

Post by 1st Corvair »

Gasman63 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:02 am Curious, Are you able to turn the key in the truck lock? Or will it not turn at all as if its the wrong key? As others have stated, sometimes if it turns you need to push the hood down a bit after it pops up a little then turn key a little more. Like a safety catch is built in.
But if it wont turn at all...
Good luck.
Sorry, I don't think I've ever been clear on if the key actually does anything or not.
Up until this moment I would've sworn it opened at least one of the doors. However, I just went outside and checked both doors and it doesn't turn any of the locks. The ignition can be turned with my thumb so I don't count that.

I asked my son again about when he opened everything up upon the car's arrival and he said it opened the trunk with no issue at all. Ever since the day the car arrived none of us have been able to get the lock to turn at all.

I'll call the locksmith and make sure they know not to mess with the chrome ring. Thanks for that info. I'll contact you with a PM for the picking instructions.
1st Corvair

Post by 1st Corvair »

Well,.....

I had the locksmith make four shiny new keys that work on the glove box.
Yippy!

Problem is, they only work on that lock. LOL :sad5:
Figures.

So, Amazon, here I come.
Bought a tube of 3M Seam Sealer so I can pop a headlight bucket out on my next day off.
So much for that fresh coat of resale red paint.
Guess this means when crypto takes off again I'll just have to use some of it to paint the entire car properly this time.
Wife and I really like that Mazda Red/Burgandy color. (I'd add a touch more peral than they do.) :tu:

One of you mentioned a locksmith may be able to make the car a one key wonder. I asked my guy about that and he thinks he may be able to do that for me. Once I get the trunk opened and the brakes working I'll take it to him so he can have a closer look.
Turns out he's got a small stash of the original looking keys. Kinda cool.

Thank you all for your help getting this under control.

If I ever figure out how to post pictures on here I'll post some of the keys and car.
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

The seam for the headlight bucket is behind the bezel so you should be able to remove it without having to repaint.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”