New member, New owner

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Iflyos

New member, New owner

Post by Iflyos »

Hey all, I'm Tim, from Winston Salem, and I'm a new member and as of this past Friday, a new owner of a 1961 Monza Coupe.

This is my first Corvair, though I have a buddy with a couple. I'm looking forward to the adventure for sure.

Currently I am working on electrical gremlins the previous owner had, and about have those sorted. A new wiring harness has helped. The previous owner included quite a collection of parts, to include the wiring harness, so I have an advantage.

After the wiring is sorted, I'll be going over the rest of the car, specifically the brakes. The previous owner was having an issue getting them bled after replacing pads, hoses and lines.

Tim
Attachments
Corvair.jpg
1961 Monza 900 Coupe
American Mel

Re: New member, New owner

Post by American Mel »

WELCOME to Corvair Forum, Tim!
:welcomeparty: :welcomeparty: :welcomeparty:
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

Welcome to the fray. That is a nice looking 61. My first Corvar was a 61- 4 door Monza with a clothe interior. You are at the right place for help and camaraderie . Good luck with the project. :tu: :tu:
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

:welcome2:

My wife is from NC
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Iflyos

Post by Iflyos »

Thanks Gang. I only have two remaining electrical issues, one ( I suspect) is a bad headlight dimmer switch, and the other is the reverse lights are always on.. I suspect the PO may have missed something when he installed a new reverse light switch.

Hopefully work will cooperate tomorrow and I can spend some time in the garage once I get home.

I have to say, Having owned a TR6, and dealing with Lucas electrics, the Corvair is much simpler to troubleshoot. When I got it Friday, It would start and run, but that was the only electrical thing it would do. Now, even the original AM radio is working!

Tim
1961 Monza 900 Coupe
County98

Post by County98 »

Welcome! I would start with the headlight switch and check the grounds.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Congrats on the Car! Its sweet looking. :chevy:
The electrical is pretty straight forward. You should be able to get it all dialed in. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

'60-61 have a different master cylinder under the dash instead of in the trunk, sort of a pain to remove. Last one I dealt with was difficult to get started bleeding so I used a pressure bleeder on a screw cap doohickey I made. A Mity-Vac didn't seem to want to do it. Once I got things going it bled out with the pedal like normal, perhaps you're already there since you have some brakes.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

I've seen a couple of times where you need 2 nylon washers under the switch to get the back up lights to go off. The terminals on the end of the switch could be touching each other also.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Iflyos

Post by Iflyos »

jimbrandberg wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:51 am '60-61 have a different master cylinder under the dash instead of in the trunk, sort of a pain to remove. Last one I dealt with was difficult to get started bleeding so I used a pressure bleeder on a screw cap doohickey I made. A Mity-Vac didn't seem to want to do it. Once I got things going it bled out with the pedal like normal, perhaps you're already there since you have some brakes.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
I noticed it was quite a bit different setup than what I'm used to with regards to the master cylinder. I figured I'd start with doing a gravity bleed and go from there. That has served me well in the past on other older vehicles. If that doesn't work, I'll give the Mity-Vac method a try.
RexJohnson wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:58 am I've seen a couple of times where you need 2 nylon washers under the switch to get the back up lights to go off. The terminals on the end of the switch could be touching each other also.
Thanks for the tip..I'll see if that solves the problem.
1961 Monza 900 Coupe
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Welcome! Nice to have another member that feels comfortable with electrical issues. My previous classic was an MGB and I agree GM electrical systems are a lot easier to sort out.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”